Much because it delighted me to see of the valley during which I used to be born (Hope and glory, 23 July), I had already saved the identical picture from the Guardian of 13 July to show on the annual Rumsey household reunion held in Hope every August.
Kathleen Leonard (nee Rumsey)
• Re Only 1% of youngsters’s books have BAME most important characters, examine finds (17 July). In the 1940s, my mom used to hold two books to learn to me on the prepare or bus. One got here from a missionary society (by way of my granny) and was about a bit African lady known as Abwa, who wished an image of Jesus. She, and the opposite characters, have been, after all, black. The different was a few rabbit known as Velvet. He was black too.
• Re Quick crossword (23 July), please might the compiler whose Christmas cake is “a seasonal soft sweet food” ship me the recipe? The icing on most Christmas truffles is impenetrable with out energy instruments.
• Seven highway journeys by seven males (Road journeys particular, Travel, 21 July). We girls clearly lack the balls for this type of journey.
• All this speak in regards to the Morris Minor (Letters passim). A real Guardian reader drives a 2CV.
Newtownards, County Down
• Yes they will (Suck it up! Can pasta straws actually substitute plastic ones? G2, 23 July)! I used to be given macaroni tubes as straws again within the 1950s. They simply pierced the silver foil cap on bottles of orange juice and I used to be capable of eat the straw afterwards.
• Would you prefer to submit to be printed within the Guardian’s letters unfold? If so, you are able to do so right here
• Join the controversy – e mail [email protected]
• Read extra Guardian letters – click on right here to go to gu.com/letters